All photos by Magdalena Hestholm.
1. Massage chair at the library. There is a hidden massage chair at the library in Kjølv Egelands hus. The chair is under the stairs tot he basement area. It is often available and cost nothing to use. I usually take a ten minute session whilst waiting for my bus, after a long reading session in the library. There is also rumours about a chair in Arne Rettedals hus, but I have not been able to find it.
2. The cosiest place on campus. There is a room that sees little use called Studylab at the library. This room is fairly well hidden. When you enter the quiet reading hall in the basement, you can see a door to your left. In here it is furnished with sofas, pillows swing chairs and carpets. It is usually much calmer and less crowded here. There is also a newly opened readin/lounge room in the second floor of Kjølv Egelands hus, above the cafeteria. This is also very nicely furnished, and usually not crowded in the afternoon.
3. Free folders. There has been less paper the last few years due to the digitization og UiS. But there are still people like me, who prefers reading on paper rather than a computer screen. Then it is nice to have folders you can organize your files in. You can buy folders at SiS Bookshop, or if you are clever find them for free in Hulda Garborgs hus. In the second floor, beside the staircase, there is a cabinet filled with folders you can take with you. Just do not get greedy.
4. Wardrobes at UiS. If you have to change clothes or are thinking about taking a shower at campus, but do not have membership at SiS Sportssenter, do not despair. There are lots of wardrobes with showers and bathrooms spread around campus. Bring your own towel and leave the room as you found it.
5. Get a locker. There are plenty of lockable lockers at UiS. If you work out a lot, you should get a locker at SiS sportssenter, There you can for example leave your sportswear so you do not have to bring it every time you are working out. If you spend a lot of time at the library, you should have your curriculum in the hallway next to the library. Almost all buildings at Ullandhaug have lockable lockers. If you have many classes in a building, you should try to get a locker there. You can save a lot of time and energy with a strategic locker on campus.
6. Free computer equipment. Kitty Kiellands Hus is the home of the IT department at UiS. They are located in the basement. Under the staircase they keep a bog box of old computer equipment meant to be thrown out. But often you can find working headphones, computer mouses, keyboards and screens. The mouse I am using now, I found here.
7. Piano for use. I am sure you have seen a flust of pianos around campus. They are located at the library in Kjølv Egelands hus, as well as in Kjell Arholms- and Hagbard Line-huset. All the pianos are easy to find, but badly placed if you want to jam by yourself. There are however pianos better placed for practice sessions. At Hagbard Line-huset, in the rooms MG-152 and MG-150, you will find lots of pianos you can use.
Do you have other hidden tricks? Give us a heads up at firstname.lastname@example.org